|THE BOBCAT TRAIL
When a boy is between the ages of seven and eleven years old or is (at least) in the first grade, he can become a Cub Scout. But, regardless of a qualifying boy's age, he must complete the Bobcat Trail as the first step in his Cub Scouting adventure.
In Rudyard Kipling's story, The Jungle Book, the black panther Bagheera is the mighty hunter that teaches the cubs the skills of the jungle. In Cub Scouting we use the symbol of the Bobcat. You'll find his trail in the Tiger Cub Handbook (BSA 34713), and the Wolf Handbook (BSA 33450), the Bear Handbook (BSA 33451), and the Webelos Handbook (BSA 33452)
Along this trail the Cub Scout learns the Cub Scout Promise, the Law of the Pack, and the Cub Scout Motto. These are the three most important things a boy must learn because they will help him through all of the trails of Scouting.
THE BOBCAT TRACKS
To earn the Bobcat badge the boy must complete these eight tracks of Akela:
- LEARN AND SAY THE CUB SCOUT PROMISE:
"I ____(name)____ promise to do my best ... AND COMPLETE THE HONESTY CHARACTER CONNECTION.
To do my duty to God and my country,
To help other people, and
To obey the Law of the Pack."
- Know: Discuss these questions with your family. What is a promise? What does it mean to "keep your word?" What does honesty mean? What does it mean to "do your best?"
- Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to keep your word? List examples.
- Practice: Discuss with family members why it is important to be trustworthy and honest and how can you do your best to be honest when you are doing the activities in Cub Scouting.
- SAY THE LAW OF THE PACK. TELL WHAT IT MEANS.
"The Cub Scout follows Akela.
The Cub Scout helps the pack go.
The pack helps the Cub Scout Grow.
The Cub Scout gives goodwill."
- TELL WHAT "WEBELOS" MEANS.
"WE'll BE LOyal Scouts"
- SHOW THE CUB SCOUT SIGN. TELL WHAT IT MEANS.
- SHOW THE CUB SCOUT HANDSHAKE. TELL WHAT IT MEANS.
- SAY THE CUB SCOUT MOTTO. A MOTTO IS A RULE.
The MOTTO is: "DO YOUR BEST. "
- GIVE THE CUB SCOUT SALUTE. TELL WHAT IT MEANS.
- With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the parent's guide, "How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse".
When you and your boy have followed the eight tracks of the Bobcat, your boy may wear his Bobcat badge. The badge should be ceremoniously presented as soon as possible at an upcoming Pack meeting.